Is Beaver Lake a public facility?

No. Beaver Lake and the surrounding property are privately owned by the residents of the Lake View Park neighborhood. Lake View Park residents pay fees for the upkeep of the lake and park, and we employ a warden to enforce our rules for safety and to facilitate the enjoyment of the lake and the park by our residents. Non-residents are invited to use the facilities as long as all the rules and restrictions are honored.

How do I stay in touch?

The Commission uses two electronic methods to communicate with homeowners as described below. Note that both these methods are "opt-in". If you don't join we can't communicate with you. You may also contact any of the Commissioners (see Contact).

NextDoor - a private social network for our neighborhood
A very active private social network with over 540 members has been established via NextDoor at lakeviewparkasheville.nextdoor.com. If you own a home in Lake View Park we strongly encourage you to join. NextDoor features a map that can help you get to know who your neighbors are and methods to help you make contact with them. This information is private for members of the community only. The Commission uses NextDoor to communicate urgent news affecting our neighborhood. Of course it is also used to report lost/found pets, wildlife sightings, recommendations for local service providers, etc. The Lake View Park Commission Secretary is a "Lead" for the neighborhood and can help you if you have any questions.

Neighborhood Yahoo! Group for Email Communication
The Lake View Park Treasurer maintains a "Yahoo! Group" email list. If you prefer to use email it's easy to subscribe to the Lake View Park Yahoo Group. Just send an email to lvpgroupnc-subscribe@yahoogroups.com. Please include your name & home address in the email to ensure our moderator can validate your membership. The Commission uses the Yahoo! Group to communicate urgent news affecting our neighborhood.

What are assessments?

Assessments are essentially homeowner dues. Bills are mailed in December and are due by January 31st. A lien against the property is filed when assessments are not paid.

Do I have to pay my assessment even if I don't use the lake?

Yes. As per each property deed and LVP by-laws, it is the mandate of the Commission (the governing body) to collect assessments to adequately maintain the lake, dam, park and all other common property on behalf of property owners.

When is the homeowner's meeting?

The annual meeting for property owners is held during the month of October. An announcement is mailed to each homeowner 30 days in advance of the meeting.

Do I need permission to build?

Yes. You must have approval from the Commission for new construction; additions or renovations that expand the footprint of your home; or the addition of garages or outbuildings. Plans should be submitted to the Chair of the Commission at the PO Box or by email. Most plans can be approved if the set-backs are not violated and if the ultimate style and size is in keeping with your lot.

What about City permits and ordinances?

Property owners are subject to all local permitting requirements, codes, ordinances and laws. However, Lake View Park building set-backs take precedence (and are generally more restrictive) over those of the City.

What are the building set-back requirements for Lake View Park?

Set-backs in Lake View Park are more restrictive than the City requirements and take precedence over City requirements. In general, the side set-back for lots with 100' or more of road frontage is 15' from the side property line. The side set-back for lots with less than 100', is 10' from the side property line. Front set-backs are generally 30' - 40' and vary by street throughout the neighborhood.  As these requirements are not uniform throughout LVP, each home owner should consult the original deed to their property for their specific set-backs and restrictions. In the absence of prescribed set-backs in the deed, the City requirement must be met. 

Why the original Deed?

Lake View Park original deeds (dating in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s) "run with the land" and therefore are applicable no matter how many times the property has transferred. If you are buying a property or planning alterations, you should be familiar with the property's original deed which can be found at the Buncombe County Court House.

What are covenants?

Covenants are the restrictions of the property which are contained in the original deeds.

What is the rule for subdividing?

Subdividing of a platted lot is not permissible in Lake View Park.

What are the colored rubber balls in the lake?

They are buoys used by Asheville Yacht Club when sailing their radio controlled sail boats.

What's the deal about potential damage from trees?

In general, Lake View Park Commission has responsibility for maintaining trees in the park and parkways. The City of Asheville has responsibility for maintaining and removing damaged/dying trees along streetscapes. Duke Progress Carolinas should be called to trim or remove trees that have potential to interfere or cause danger to power lines or personal property.

Neighbor to Neighbor: Please be kind and speak to your neighbor first if you discern a problem with your neighbors' trees. If you are concerned about limbs hanging on your property, talk to your neighbor about your concern. You and your neighbor may elect to share the cost of removal or trimming as the quickest solution. If damage to your property from your neighbor's tree is a result of weather (wind, flooding or other "act of God"), then you/your homeowner's insurance pays to repair the damage and/or removal of the portion of the tree that is on your property. EXCEPTION: If you note that your neighbor's tree is diseased or damaged and looks to be in a position to cause damage to your property (home, fence etc.), you should notify the owner (via phone call, letter or certified letter) AND NOTIFY AND OBTAIN ADVICE FROM YOUR INSURANCE AGENT. Once the owner is notified it is his/her responsibility to remove/repair the tree. Any damage resulting thereafter to your property from this tree must be paid by the owner of the tree (or his/her insurance).

NOTE: If in doubt about ownership, responsibility, or liability, always consult with your insurance agent or legal counsel for advice.



Beaver Lake